Motorcycles & Scooters

2 Wheels Are Better Than 1

People operating motorcycles and scooters and other self- propelled vehicles over 50cc, must follow the same laws as people driving cars. In addition to a driver’s license and proof of insurance, you will also need a motorcycle endorsement on your driver’s license to operate a motorcycle or scooter.

Any person applying for a motorcycle endorsement, who has had an endorsement that has been expired for 25 months or longer, is required to pass both a motorcycle knowledge test and motorcycle skills test. All riders under age 21 are required to attend an entry-level rider education course before receiving a motorcycle endorsement.

Riders under 18 are required to wear an approved helmet. However, no matter what age or what speed, helmeted riders are three times more likely to survive head injuries than those not wearing helmets at the time of the crash. The single most important thing you can do to improve your chances of surviving a motorcycle crash is to wear a securely-fastened, approved helmet.

It’s important to note that motorcycles are different from motorbikes. A motorbike is a two-wheeled vehicle that is not originally manufactured for use on public roadways, which limits its use to off road environments. Motorbikes are required to have a restricted vehicle plate.